Saturday, July 20, 2013

West Coast Tour - The Dutch Shoe Marathon




by Kate Sheahan
West Coast Tour Coordinator
Inspired by my visit to the start of the 2,225 nautical mile Transpac last Saturday I decided to partake in my own distance race, albeit a six-miler in a hundred inch long boat – the legendary Sabot. Originally made from plywood, these little boats are a quintessential west coast icon, from which many competitive racers learn to sail. On Friday July 19th, SDYC and CYC hosted the 44th annual Dutch Shoe Marathon, a long-standing summer event that as North Sails' Chris Snow put it, “is my favorite day of the summer.” 
The Tillson family started a new family tradition with all members out between three boats. Betty Becker completed what might be her fortieth race, as she has competed since the senior division was added in the 70s. Many newbies, myself included, were just happy to have finished without swamping waves from the navy ships which frequent San Diego Bay almost hourly. 

I can’t wait to get out again next year! Congratulations to all finishers, especially overall winners: Max Brill, Jack Egan and Ryan Ratliff.

Hear from finishers below in video interviews, as well as see a few photos I snapped along the way. If you would like to share your photos from the day, please email them to katesheahan@ussailing.org and I'll add them to the album.

A special thanks to John Fretwell and the SDYC racing coaches and team members for putting me in a boat and shoving me off! 

Now come along as I head north to the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon to keep up with 49ers, 29ers, I14s and Tasars at the Gorge Skiff Invitational.

Follow the West Coast Tour on Twitter at @USSailing

The Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe Marathon
The Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe Marathon
The Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe Marathon
The Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe MarathonThe Dutch Shoe Marathon
Dutch Shoe Marathon 2013, a set on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment